using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Monday, September 22, 2008

Finally popping that bottle of champagne...

Dad bought it for us in July for our anniversary. Eric was leaving for Dallas the next morning, and then I was studying for comps, and then...there was always an excuse. Now that I've passed comps, and Eric has accepted a job offer in Dallas, we're drinking it.

okay, so who cares? why am I writing about this tonight? Well, it's midnight, the crickets are singing outside my window, Katie's sleeping soundly, and Eric and I are both working while celebrating. Yeah, lame. I know. I finished one cover letter and my CV tonight. Oh- and found a friend on MySpace that I've been looking for for years. She's my long-lost, much smarter "twin" Tiffany Mindt. If you know us, you know we look like sisters. I hope we work in the same department next year, because we thought so similarly as undergrads at OU.

Getting excited about moving, but had the same bout of depression while looking at the housing offerings online that I had before moving here.

One important thing: Katie is cutting a molar, if not many of them. She went into her room this afternoon, started crying her in-pain cry, and while her mouth was wide open, I noticed the tooth poking through. Yet, she sleeps soundly right now. We have such an awesome kid, you know that?

So everyone keep their fingers crossed that I'll have a job next year, or a fellowship. Reactions to applying for tenure track run from aghast to oblivious. I'll take oblivious- he's promised me fantastic letters of recommendation. I've also lectured in front of 300 undergrads in a pinch, though, so...Going tenure-track while ABD is challenging, but I want to tell them that being $70,000 in the hole for this little education of mine is quite the incentive to finish the damn thing. I'm grateful, nonetheless.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm so excited you guys are moving closer to home! I can't wait to see you again. Bobby applied for a job in Dallas, so we'll have to see where that leads us. Call me when you come back into town.