using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Norman just does this to me

I love OU. I love this campus. It's one of my favorite places in the world. Our kids will know this place, even if they don't go here. I've instructed Eric to make sure Katie knows and understands sports so she's not a total dope at OU football games like me.

BUT: I'm in the Starbucks on campus corner right now. I'm pretty sure OU Men's basketball star Blake Griffin was in line in front of me when I got here. The kid has TWO blackberries. Is it normal for college students or student athletes specifically to have two blackberries?

OU has taught me to expect the worst re: university athletics. The AD here is a bona fide crook (just ask the folks at Mizzou), and it's like the athletic culture here just can't get it through their heads that the NCAA doesn't fuck around. The empire they've built has been on the backs of their ticketholders, those of us who love OU regardless, and those of us who forked over cash to get an education here. I see bent rules as a slap in the face for all of us who have supported this school and this program.

My suspicion? Two blackberries= one phone freed up for scouts to call. Isn't this illegal? And couldn't OU get into some serious trouble-- AGAIN-- if it's true? This reminds me of seeing Hollis Price cruise around town in an Audi Speedster a few years ago. WTF?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I miss Norman but I don't miss going to school there. Talk about social ladders!

Jonathan. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan. said...

actually your precious badass is safe. no restrictions on phone calls for pros.