using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Thursday, March 12, 2009

About breastfeeding

Interesting post here on the issue.

My thoughts: one thing that gets me about the posts on jezebel re: breastfeeding are the comments about breastfeeding nazis. I nursed Katie and I think nursing mothers have this one in the bag when it comes to being made to feel uncomfortable about their choice in infant-feeding.

An example: no mother who feeds her child a bottle ever has to cover up. No parent who feeds their child for any period of time is ever made to feel as if they might in some way be sexually abusing their baby when they feed with a bottle. Bottle-feeding is never seen as erotic or inappropriate. Yet, a nursing mother has to go in hiding basically to feed her child.

I think, one, the bottle-feeding medical paradigm still so strongly permeates our culture that folks have a tough time accepting that nursing is actually the way things were intended between mother and child. Formula is a great medical intervention when a mother cannot nurse- and I accept that some women cannot nurse- but I would argue that people doubt the overwhelming benefits of breastmilk because it has been intrenched in us to doubt the worthiness anything a woman's body does. And yes, this pertains to value placed on pregnancy and childbearing in this country.

More to the point, maybe we remember reading about wet nurses back in English lit, but women of means did not nurse themselves up until very recently when it is now upper-class women who are most likely to nurse. Back in the day, women from the lower classes were paid to nurse rich people's children because breastfeeding was seen as primitive. This myth persists; as one former student said, one of his cousins told his sister when she said she was breastfeeding: "You're not a cat!"

When making the decision to breastfeed, I made sure to look at it as a challenge and something I had to figure out and work on. If it didn't work, if Katie didn't learn to latch on, I'd quit. But I had more than one meltdown worrying if she was getting enough to eat.

I think that's the thing: mothers want what's best for their kids and I think no mother ever decides not to nurse her kid because breastfeeding isn't healthy...or at least, I don't think they do. But I think the breast itself is just so fraught with sexual connotation in our culture, that it disguises the value- and really, the absolute joy- that breastfeeding can be if people just calm down and take it easy. (not to mention, IT'S FREE!).

On a sidenote, my biggest plug for nursing is that in that 8 eight weeks before Katie started to really respond to us with smiles and laughs, nursing her was the most gratifying thing about motherhood. If she was upset, she'd nuzzle my chest and nursing would calm her down instantly. But that was me, and I want to respect the choices of other mothers who do not nurse. I just wish those who don't even consider nursing would give it try.

...and I will nurse the next baby. There, the cat's out of the bag. We're expecting again (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

9 comments:

Vanessa said...

yay! i'm so excited for you guys!!!

i have much to say on this subject, but i'm nursing right this second (and typing one-handed) so i'll save it for later. :)

MaryAnn said...

Hey Vanessa! I've been thinking about you, and wondering how things are going with two kiddos...Looking forward to anything you have to say...

Vanessa said...

this is from the original article, but this is what bothered me the most (if i HAD to pick. the whole thing made my BP rise)

"it seems reasonable to put breast-feeding's health benefits on the plus side of the ledger and other things-modesty, independence, career, sanity-on the minus side, and then tally them up and make a decision."

seriously?? i've nursed my babies everywhere i go with plenty of modesty. i'm more independent now than i've ever been in my life. formula feeding would actually make me more dependent on others - on formula companies, on the plethora of bottles and supplies that go with them, and on other people to feed my baby. even though i'm not doing EXACTLY what i was before i had children, i still have a career in the field that i love. and please? sanity? there's nothing that maintains my sanity more than nursing my sweet baby.

and, i agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

again - i am so so happy for you guys! when are you due? how old will katie be?

MaryAnn said...

It's waaay early- based on my calculations (ha!), I think I'm due Nov. 8. I go to the doctor in two weeks- I hate how they make you wait to see them the first time. Thankfully, I'm not as nervous this time. I was a basketcase with Katie. But me not being nervous makes me nervous because of all the crazy turns my health has taken in the past...if that makes any sense.

katie will be 26 months old, which might be a little young...but I don't know. I've really wanted to know how things have gone for you and what advice you have for, I guess, juggling two small children. Also, what can you tell me about cloth diapers? We only have one income right now (for sure, anyways) and it seems like cloth diapers might be another way to save money...any wise words that you have are welcome.

Angela said...

yeahhhh! you said something on facebook recently that made me wonder... i forget now what it was. but, congrats!!!

Vanessa said...

ummm...having 2 young kids is hard. there. i said it. and i wish someone had said it to me before brock was born.

of course it's amazing and wonderful and fulfilling but it's also really hard. i guess the hardest part is feeling like i never have enough time to give to both of them. i don't have time to rock and hold brock as much as i did jaycie. and i don't have time to play with jaycie and do the fun activities that we used to do before brock was born.

but it's wonderful to see them together. at least 3 times a day i hear jaycie say "brother, i love you so much." and that melts my heart. i'm glad that they're so close in age b/c i think they'll be good friends/playmates as they get older.

about cloth diapers - there are a million different kinds out there. i can email you some links and info if you want. we've been really happy with the decision to use them. it's definitely possible to save a lot of money by using them...if you buy wisely. it's also possible to spend way more money on cloth diapers than you ever would on disposables. let me know if you have some specific questions, and i'll email you same links and info.

Amanda @ Life in bloom said...

Congratulations!!! YAY!!!!!!

MaryAnn said...

Thanks thanks thanks! I can't even begin to say how excited I am- but reality checks are good. I need to prepare myself for dealing emotionally with two kids...and get to writing that dissertation.

Here's my email address: soonerhawkeye@gmail.com. Please give me some info on diapers. It just seems smart. And if we move into our own house this year, I'll start gardening again next spring.

Amanda, if you read this again, can you tell me about that detergent you made for Steph? How did you find out about it, and where can I find information on more stuff like it?

Andrea said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!! I'm scared about giving up to easily on nursing. It seems a lot of my friends didn't find it easy and gave up early. I'm determined, which in turn is making me a little stressed. I'm hoping it all works out! Now I know another source to contact when I'm ready to pull my hair out over it!