using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Up," "Down"

Katie's quickly adding to her repertoire of words: today, it was "bubble," and I just discovered that she can say and understand "up" and "down."

After talking to Mom on the phone for a little bit, I came into her room where she was playing with Eric. He got up to run her bath, and I had her on my lap in her rocking chair. She got down, grabbed a book, and I put her in my lap again. But she climbed down, and started pulling on my shirt. At first, I thought she meant to sit on the floor so she could sit on my lap there, but instead, she wanted me to vacate the rocking chair so she could sit there herself. As soon as I was out, she began patting the seat cushion, and I put her up there, where she rocked like crazy for a few minutes.

She's been using books to get us to get her lately. We'll be sitting on the couch, she'll bring us a book, we think she wants us to read it to her, but what she really wants is for us to lift her onto the couch, because she starts climbing all over us and walking back and forth. It's her little game. She loves sitting in the big people chairs.

But after she conned me into getting out of the rocker, I asked if she could say up, to which she said, "Up."

"Can you say 'down,' Katie?"

"Down."

And then, to show Eric, I'd say "Up," and she'd stand up. I'd say, "Down," and she'd sit down. Back and forth, back and forth.

...but that all ended with the advent of her not-first bubble bath a few seconds ago- we put in soothing vapor bath because she has serious congestion right now, to which she lifted her feet to keep from touching. Now, she's crying because bath time was over. I guess there's no winning.

No comments: