using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Our lucid little communicator

Last night, we were playing around on the couch and Katie climbed off suddenly. She walked into the dining room, turns around and looks at us and says, "Mil, mil." That's how she asks for milk.

So we ask back, "Milk, Katie?"

She nods her head "Yes," and walks to the kitchen and starts to pat on the refrigerator door.

Are kids supposed to communicate so clearly like this at 15 months? Patting the fridge door and saying, "Mil, mil," is nothing new. What's really funny is she's gotten good as saying "No," or rather, "Nononono" lately, and she's only recently learned how to shake her head in the affirmative. I mean, she says, "no!" A LOT. A LOT. So much that her teacher at school said, "We heard the 'N-O' word for the first time today."

I told her teacher that we actually hear that word all the time. But I understand now why Jessie spelled "no" out when telling us, because we need to start spelling out B-A-T-H-T-I-M-E and B-E-D-T-I-M-E. The other night, it was bathtime, and we asked Katie if she were ready for her bath. She shook her head "no" furiously, saying, "nononono." We then asked if she were ready for bed then, and she started freaking out and crying, shaking her head, and saying, "Nononono."

I think I've read the same three books to Katie about four times each this morning so far. Each time, she gets the book, comes over to me, if I've been sitting in my office chair, she turns me toward her, and pats my lap after handing me the book. I'm a little worn out of Moo, Ba, La, La, La, so I just told her that Papa would love to read it to her. So, she walked over to him, and he read it to her.

Okay, I think they just got hold of the latest issue of Mother Jones, and Eric's looking for some
article to read to her in there...just normal Saturday morning shenanigans.

1 comment:

Shaina said...

Yeah I know, I never thought about some of that stuff until I read those things either. I always knew there was something weird about breast cancer fundraisers, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.