using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Another big "Ugh!"

Another thought that occurred to me in my increasing disdain with the Religious Right:

JFK was questioned because he was Catholic, the claim being that he would answer to the Pope and not his country. Mitt Romney had the same experience. And, in a much more crazy way, Obama's allegiance is being questioned because of Rev. Wright's liberation theology (I think that's the correct term). God forbid someone speak the truth about the U.S.'s continuing racism...

Here's the deal: these leaders have been run through the ringer for the religious allegiances, the fear being that their allegiance lies somewhere besides America. See it in Michelle Bachmans' stupidity.

But then, today, I look at a friend's church's web site, and I guess I found out what I already knew. This site said something to the effect of, "Remember, you're a citizen of Heaven before a citizen of America..."

Um, hello??? How dare you question Obama's allegiances, when clearly your country comes after your desire to please God. I wish I could be kind and say this was somehow not an instance of clear hypocrisy, but it is. I really just can't stomach evangelical Christians. I don't know how they somehow get off thinking that they're persecuted in this country, that somehow their values are threatened in this country, and yet they demand perfection of all others while crying, "But I'm forgiven!" They fail to hold themselves to the same standards by which everyone else is held accountable because they're "saved." To me, that's just an excuse to treat others like shit based on your faulty interpretation of the Bible...how about expanding that measure of forgiveness to others? Or maybe the silly little Golden Rule? And how about a moment of reflexivity where you see that the very attributes that these extremist Christians are using to vilify Obama are built into their own churches, that is, some (alleged) loyalty to something other than "America."

You know, it wouldn't be nearly so annoying- no, infuriating- that evangelicals take direction from their pastors and answer to them if they didn't question and persecute anyone who it's whispered to answer to anyone themselves. Did anyone stop and question the premise of not only the crazy McCain rally lady's assertion that we can't trust Obama because he's an Arab, but also McCain's reply that he's not Arab, but a good family man? Apparently, the two categories are mutually exclusive or something and well, I have a hard time with someone like McCain telling me what is or is not a good family man even though I believe that Obama is just that.

3 comments:

Boog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

right on, maryann. well put.

gluten free gardener said...

I think that is because many evangelical Christians take it for granted that America is God's chosen country. (especially if we put Palin in office...then we'll be that much closer to heaven...literally, when she annihilates the population of the planet with bombs)

There's such an assumption that "we" are right, that "we" are God's chosen people. "We" being white, wealthy, conservative Christians.

So I don't think they see any conflict in holding an allegiance to God over country. They're so sure that God is on the side of the US, that it doesn't even enter the conversation.

I read a newspaper story that a preacher had said to his congregation, "A Christian cannot vote for Obama." I don't know...my red flag sure goes up when someone tells me what I can and can't do. Even someone whose opinion I respect (which, if I were a churchgoer, surely would include my minister).

It's a strange world.