using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Friday, July 11, 2008

Another garden update

My peppers will probably be a loss- they're growing abysmally slow and are now overshadowed by the okra plants. I have a few carrots that seemed to survive the thinning out, and my basil plants did well after I thinned them as well. There are three tomatoes growing, a number of little cucumbers starting to grow, and I think at least 7 squash that I believe are of the butternut variety. I cut back the pumpkin plant- it's actually taking over our neighbor's yard, but considering our fence has been taken over by their vegetation and ridiculous bamboo, I don't feel too bad.

I realized a few years ago, because we're normally surrounded by corn plants here in Iowa, that veggies pop up on the strangest places on their plants. So I was surprised to see a squash growing- one is about 7 inches long already. I guess I don't know where I think they would grow, but where they grow still surprises me- all these tiny little prickly cucumbers on the plant.

When the okra are done, I'll probably use that space to re-seed carrots and then some onions and garlic as well. Get my root cellar going, if you know what I mean. But Katie and I check the garden every morning, and I point out to her what things are.

I'm open to moving wherever when Eric graduates, but it sure would be nice to do this garden thing again next year...

1 comment:

Pappy Mike said...

Communications is a unique concept MaryAnn, but like in a child it starts with a mere mumble and developes until it starts to make sense both to the receiver and the sender. Much like the poor, they have to want to have their voice heard before it can be heard. It might just start out to be a scream in the night and then develop into spmething much more meaningful. Like Katie's mere blast of vocalisms, we watch as ga's turn into to understandable words. At first is it Dad, Dog what ever but sooner or later it will be understandable. It iwill be understandable because she wants to develop that understanding that what she has to communicate is important. it is rright there in our childrens development. But then some people just don't understand the path... You got to want to.

Love
Dad