using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Saturday, May 24, 2008

More lessons

1. Baby food is every where. And by everywhere, I mean everywhere: I find those Gerber puffs everywhere: I just stepped on one in her bedroom. They somehow make it intact into her diaper...not sure how, but I don't ask those questions, because who knows. In some of the pictures I took Thursday morning, I can see a speck of the prunes and oatmeal she ate the night before on the top of her ear. Everywhere, I tell you.

2. If a baby won't go forward, they'll go up, or backwards, or any direction they want. Katie goes up- she's a climbing fool. We have the canopy over her crib to keep the cats out. Now I guess we'll need it to keep her in.

3. Noses may as well be mouths. Her mouth and nose both blow bubbles, items go in and out of both just as easily, and boogers and food get crusted on both. And actually, sometimes its hard to tell if that's food on her nose or boogers.

4. Freud may really have known what he was talking about when he came up with the oral stage. Everything eventually makes it into her mouth, and she gets really upset when we want to take some of it back out.

5. Your kids can be a lot like you, even when they're only ten months old. One of my professors said having kids really shakes up your position on the nature vs. nurture argument; she wasn't kidding.

6. Everything is new again, and again, and again. The exersaucer sucked when we she didn't like to jump. Now, she knows how to have a good time... for a few moments, anyways. The grass, however, is still frightening. But standing at the screen door is endlessly entertaining. And pushing the nose on the lion, instead of walking with the lion, is always fascinating.

No comments: