using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The latest stats on Katie

She had her 9 month well-baby check-up Thursday- at 10 months old. But that's what we get at a teaching hospital, I suppose. More on that later...

Our champ weighs in at 18.33 pounds and 28.54 inches. She jumped percentile rankings a little, but that percentile thing is weird. I remembered it vaguely from the stats classes I've had and I knew it's a point of comparison. It freaked me out a little, though, when she dropped from the 88th percentile at birth to the 45th at her three month check-ups. A friend finally explained it to me in ways that make sense- unlike Eric's attempt.

Not long after we started at Katie's first day care, her teacher thought she was younger than she is because she was much smaller than the other babies. I hate to say it, but that kinda got to me, because the doctor also commented Thursday that Katie is smaller than her other babies. I usually just rationalize it by thinking that Eric and I were both super skinny until our mid-twenties, so she's genetically pre-disposed to being thin.

As far as comparisons go, though, and I don't mean to insult anyone, but the meaningful way the whole percentile thing was explained to me was that low percentiles are a good thing regarding weight. In Iowa specifically, they have a problem with obese children and I'm hoping that that's what the doctor was referring to. For sure, the other kids in her day care are larger than her.

It's possible, too, that either Katie heard the doctor or that we haven't been feeding Katie enough. We feed her solids until it's crystal clear she's done, but lately, she's been squealing with frustration when her bottle's empty. We never increased her formula because she didn't want the refill we offer. But then, yesterday, she suddenly started drinking two more ounces at each feeding...and so, I think we were holding her back, much like I think we may have been when we didn't change to faster flowing nipples soon enough. Oh, and because I had to take care of my thyroid cancer follow-up, I stopped nursing about a month ago.

So that's how big Katie is. She's tall and thin, like her parents used to be.

1 comment:

The Littlest Nest said...

congrats on nursing for so long. were you ok with stopping, or upset about it? how did the thyroid follow up go?

jaycie has always been in the 10-15th percentile. she weighed 18 lbs at 12 months. and now at 28 months she only weighs 25. but she's healthy. she eats healthy food. so for over a year now i've been ignoring the "she's so tiny!!!!" comments. and have you seen my husband?? i think he's skinnier than you ever were.
-vanessa