using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

If only I had a video camera with me this morning

In what surely could have been a disaster, I witnessed something so comical this morning, you couldn't make it up.

A little background info is necessary to truly get it:
We have two cats, Sita and Daphne. Sita LOVES Katie- she will try and calm her when she's upset (although this means she tries to jump in the crib with Katie in it). Katie can pull, tug and tackle Sita, and the cat just takes it. Understand, Sita takes crap from no one, but she loves her baby as much as Katie is amused by her. Daphne, on the other hand, steers clear of the baby. It may be Katie's shrieks of joy upon sighting her, but Daphne turns the other direction when Katie sets her sights on her.

Also, our bathroom is between both bedrooms, and I can watch Katie play as I get ready in the morning.

So, this morning, I notice Daphne stretched out on the floor of Katie's bedroom. Katie is hanging onto the baby gate into the bathroom watching me, but when she sees Daphne, she sets herself on the floor and crawls over to the cat that normally ignores her. What happens next exactly, I can only guess; I assume Katie gave Daphne the Sita treatment...but when I looked over a few seconds later, Katie was grasping Daphne's tail as the cat shrieked from pain and dragged Katie in circles around the room.

To be clear, let me repeat this last point: Daphne was dragging Katie around the room. Katie was holding onto Daphne's tail. They were both going in circles as Daphne tried to shed this unwelcome attention. The cat finally turned around and batted at the baby, who let out a scream. I hurdled over the baby gate, picked Katie up and calmed her down. But I've been laughing about it all day. Katie had no scratches- not that Daphne didn't try to scratch the shit out of her.

I couldn't make this up. It was straight out of a cartoon. I washed Katie's hands in case she did have a few scratches, but I'll be paying close attention to see if she "remembers" this incident and steers clear of Daphne, the way Daphne's tried so hard to do herself.

No comments: