using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another ear infection...

I took Katie to the doctor yesterday evening after picking her up from day care. She's been tugging at her right ear for a couple days and had a fever that I attributed to her two top teeth coming in. The fever got pretty high yesterday, and now she's on antibiotics. The PA we saw thinks she didn't have a strong enough dose last month, so it didn't get rid of all of the infection. And, I think I have an ear infection again as well.

So she and I are home today. She's feeling a lot better and her fever is down. She was rubbing her eyes like she was tired, so I put her down for a nap...and she's really fighting it.

But this brings me to the larger point of this post: one of my best friends is getting married. He'll also be a dad shortly thereafter. I'm starting a list of things we've learned, in the hopes that it'll help him out along the way, as he and his wife figure things out. So JP, this is for you:

1. Like I said, be cool when the baby comes. If you stress and overschedule, you'll have a stressed baby. Keeping it cool will pay off in the long run when your kiddo can take things in stride, when other babies freak out.

2. Ear infections are secondary infections. If and when the baby goes to day care, he or she will be sick every month (I was told this by my professor, and it is oh so true). Once the baby gets over their viral infection, watch for ear tugging- they probably have an ear infection because they tend to crop up after a virus.

3. Buy stock in Puff's Plus and lavender baby wash.

4. Love isn't even strong enough to describe what you feel for your child. When poop grossed you before, wiping it off your child's ass isn't so bad. After all, this is your child...

5. And babies can make the highest pitch squeals known to humans. But it's still so damn cute.

On that note, I've got to get Katie settled back in to her nap.

No comments: