using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Monday, November 17, 2008

Some serious ridiculousness

Perhaps my friend Shaina's headline was best: "This just in: Racism solved overnight!"

Of course, she's sarcastic. Much like me in my sheer disgust with white people thinking that with the election of a non-white guy to the presidency, all things are equal. As if it only were that easy.

But that's white privilege for you, to assume that racism is simply some complaint that people use as an excuse to get things for free. To say so is to deny the trenchant institutional barriers that remain against equality in this country, despite the ability to elect a non-white guy as president.

What started this line of thought was a post on MySpace, "White Guilt is Dead," from a guy I knew from high school. I knew it was something I shouldn't read and expect to walk away from unaffected, but I read it anyway.

The very premise of this post could be summarized by the post I saw by someone else on the Oklahoman's site after the election, something to the effect of, black people can no longer play the race card. The very premise of this line of thought, that racism can no longer be used as a valid "excuse" for inequity, is in and of itself racist. It excuses the racist structures that still persist, even with Obama's glorious election; in fact, the reactions to his election can be said to exacerbate the racism in this country. And don't even get me started on the white victimhood shit. Until white men no longer control the majority of this country and make the majority of the major decisions in the U.S., hush your mouth. You ain't got shit to complain about, alright?

So I hope someone will check out this link:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/11/16/13346/058/190/661895

I think it counters very nicely the way so-called conservative Christians talk out of both sides of their mouth in regards to living a Christ-like life while simultaneously condoning and perpetuating racist screeds like the one to which the Dailykos poster, and myself, responds.

To close, I plan on making a hobby out of confronting people head-on when they pull racist crap like this. I don't care how good a friend you are- you'll hear it from me. One of my best friends sent me a polite response to a post I made on MySpace informing me she and her husband were voting for McCain. That would be fine, if her response to me wasn't in reference to an article I posted that discussed the racist and violent outbursts at McCain/Palin rallies. Implicitly, she was condoning that behavior. And I just can't stomach that anymore. Not even from her.

I've already sent an email today to some wack job church in Wichita, which can only be regarded as the epicenter of Christian wingnuttery, in response to their sign outside their church that states something like America has a Muslim president (um, he hasn't been sworn in yet folks) and how a Muslim president was an sin or an abomination of God. All I've got to say about that is, are you fucking kidding me? Oh, and this: that whole bearing false witness thing. I guess it doesn't matter, eh?

3 comments:

Angela said...

i'm glad you posted the response on myspace. i can't believe he posted that. well, i assumed he was more thoughtful & compassionate than that... and i was sad to see something like that going around. some sort of rationalization for their loss. some sort of consolation racism prize.
i have been thinking a lot abt certain circumstances that i might find myself in while home for christmas... i teeter on a fine line between having to keep my mouth shut so not to offend my family/friends and the belief that keeping silent in the face of racism and ignorance is a sin in itself...
i usually express my disagreement & then bite my toungue, goin off after i leave the situation...
but when obama won, i really felt like "hey! i feel validation in being an idealist now!", and that i didn't need to continue to keep silent. all of my idealism (holding high standards for those around me & our country) has been all but squashed in the last 10 years. i think idealism is looked upon as an act of self-alienation (or a "liberal" or "academic" thing, and those are bad, elitist things you know...).
my interior struggle is how to speak up to those i love without pushing them away but brining them into the fold... JEEZ! HOW DOES ONE DO IT??? ;)

MaryAnn said...

It's really hard to reconcile just how crappy some of the things are that people back at home do re: Obama. I don't want to be a shit about things, but then again, I just can't stand it anymore. It's a question of just laying low and being selective with who I see when I go home, or putting myself in situations that I know I'll want to speak up because someone will say something stupid.

But I'm seriously having to emotionally and intellectually prepare for being the crazy one back home.

Shaina said...

Yes. Thank you, thank you for this post! I'm simultaneously excited and terrified of what will happen in the next 4 years.