using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Monday, August 4, 2008

Mental wanderings away from comps reading

As I sat back down at my computer to start reading and taking notes again, here was my train of thought: started listening to Ray LaMontagne again today, and one song in particular is, well, amazing (I'm censoring myself here). It reminded me, for some reason, of the PM Dawn song from the Boomerang soundtrack, and so I looked it up on iTunes. And that sent me to Boyz II Men and Down on Bended Knee (maybe someone is seeing the link between all these songs...). And soon, I was rifling through an iMix of 90s R&B and was straight back in high school.

Usually, I hate to think back to high school. It was traumatic, as any adolescence is and should be. But this play list just made me grin. I'm still smiling. Somehow, this list of R&B, which I do not listen to now, brought back all the good memories- if I had $87, I would have bought the iMix. Seriously- it was a little taste of late 1990s Del City High School. A sampling of the playlist:
-I'm Ready, Tevin Campbell
-Anniversary, Tony! Toni! Tone!
-Red Light Special, TLC (not a fan of this song in particular, but...)
-all sorts of Jodeci, Silk, Shai, Soul for Real (come on!), A Tribe Called Quest, Naughty By Nature (hello, 9th grade New Year's Eve Party), Blackstreet, Hi-Five...TLC's "Waterfalls" (that was Mrs. Brown's 10th grade English class where we analyzed song lyrics).

I almost bought Boyz II Men's second album- so many memories there. (Sigh). Maybe I've finally overcome my extreme aversion to high school.

On that note, they might be sending me back to high school in three weeks. Serious anxiety setting in about my exams. I'm to the "strategery" phase, trying to relate everything to my dissertation project. But I'll end on an anecdote about my very first grad school anxiety dream:

It was after, not before, I turned in my final paper to Dr. Gade's Mass Comm Theory class, which was my first completed grad school term paper (I will add this quickly: OU's J-school could learn a lesson from the Comm department there and let their grad students write complete papers rather than proposals every semester- I was completely unprepared for my classes out of the department that encourage submission to conferences).Dr. Gade, as Emily (aka "Gluten Free Gardner) will attest, gives PhDs a bad name. If there's someone with an artificially inflated ego from that piece of paper, it's him. Even when I'm a PhD, I will still call him Dr. Gade and not Peter. But anyways, I dreamt- again, after turning it in- that my professors sent me back to first grade after reading my paper. And, I was too tall to sit in the tables at the elementary school.

Back to reading now...

No comments: