using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Sunday, June 1, 2008

My angry email to the Gap

To Whom It May Concern…although I don’t think the Gap cares:

I have bought my last knit shirt from the Gap. Being a die-hard Gap shopper, this is saying a lot, although I should’ve seen the writing on the wall YEARS ago. Your company clearly has no interest in producing clothes that fit all ranges of body types, particularly those of us who are tall and curvy, for more than a single wearing. I refer to my deep frustration that the tank-tops I just bought and just washed for the first time are now way too short to cover my tummy. This is not the first time I have bought a knit top from the Gap and had to give it away after the first washing; two years ago, I got one wearing out of a set out eight or ten Henley tops before they were washed and sadly, too small for me to wear.

May I mention, as well, that your failure to provide long-length jeans over size 12 in your stores is rather frustrating as well? If you have sinking revenues, and I suspect that you do, I will not be sorry to see the millions of gap stores that I once loved close one by one. You make a shitty product these days, and the crap that you do provide only works for short, flat-chested, super-skinny women. Most people can’t afford to buy new shirts every season. Maybe if you stopped contracting out the work that makes your clothes, for one, and spent a little less time distressing the clothes, for two, people like me, trying to lose those few last baby pounds, would fall in love with your store again. As it stands, your shitty and overpriced product and indifference to anyone but those underage, malnourished and greasy teenagers in your ads prevents me from patronizing your stores.

Your former customer,

MaryAnn Martin

Ph.D. candidate, University of Iowa

No comments: