using the world wide web to share news about my wonderful daughter, all the while brainstorming little acts of subversion

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Flood update

We're still okay- but to give you an idea of how close the flood waters are, we live off of 19th Street, and the waters cover things until 4th or 5th Street.

We can only use water for drinking, and all other utilities sparingly. Needless to say, the dinner dishes are still dirty...and I guess we'll make do with the toilet.

Katie's in bed, but this is getting rather depressing. I suddenly feel poor, although we're blessed beyond measure right now. The flooding is beyond description. The water could be covering my house... but the bleak reality is, some of the poorer parts of the city are the ones under the most water. And, I don't think it's a coincidence that what used to be an immigrant enclave, the Czech Village, was the first to flood. In other words, my comps readings are getting to me and ideas of empire, hegemony, and social engineering are at the front of my mind, and it doesn't seem coincidental that, back in the day, the nicer houses in town were built farther away from the river and are not the ones flooding right now.

The river's supposed to "crest" tomorrow morning at 32 feet. Flood stage, I might add, is 12 feet. The Iowa River through IC won't crest until Tuesday.

No comments: